Wylie United Methodist Church - Original BuildingHistory

Wylie Methodist began as a seed of thought that was planted in the hearts and minds of a small group of people in 1902. The citizens of a sparsely settled community in south Taylor County met and decided to begin raising money for a building that would house both a school and a church.  Mrs. M.V. Wylie agreed to donate 2 acres of land, with the understanding that the building would carry the Wylie name. Construction began in the summer of 1902 under the leadership of T.J. St. John and W.S. Shaw. The building was completed in the fall of 1902 measuring 30 feet wise and 20 feet long.

The first Sunday School was organized in 1903 with W.S. Shaw serving as the first Sunday School Superintendent. On November 27, 1904, Rev. E.L. Sisk, pastor of Caps UMC helped to organize the church with 29 charter members. Several different pastors served the church due to the fact that Caps and Wylie, and sometimes Tuscola, were served by a shared minister. Occasionally, pastors even came on Saturday night and were hosted by different members’ families.

In 1916 the church purchased the building from the Wylie ISD for $100. The building served the church for many years as they continued to grow. In 1927, the young married couples class saw the need for a new building in the near future, so they opened a savings account with $25 to start the new building fund. Then, in 1943, a new rock building was erected that served the church until it was destroyed by fire on February 23, 1969. After the fire, the church members decided to rebuild at the same location. The building was completed in September 1970. The Dedication was held on November 25, 1970 with Bishop Alsie H. Carlton, District Superintendent Darris Egger, and Pastor H. Clyde Smith.

An Educational Annex was added to the church and dedicated on June 11, 1972. In 1979, an additional annex was built. Rev. L. Weldon Tucker was the pastor of the church at that time. The indebtedness of the church was completely paid off by December 1982. A gymnasium and additional Sunday School rooms were added in 1985.

The membership of the church grew to the capacity of the sanctuary. This led to the purchase of a new building at 3430 Antilley Road in 1992 where we continue to worship to this day. In September of 2022, the church voted to disaffiliate from the United Methodist Church and, effective January 1, 2023, became a member of the Global Methodist Church.

With the blessings of God, our church has now outgrown our current building and we are undergoing the addition of a new sanctuary, gym and playground. Wylie Methodist Church is beginning the next exciting chapter in reaching people for Christ with this new addition. Over the past 122 years God has proven Himself to be faithful, and we believe the best is yet to come.